2020 vUAL Events Survey

All Events details will be posted here.
UAL1277 Kevin Finch

2020 vUAL Events Survey

Post by UAL1277 Kevin Finch » October 22nd, 2020, 11:21 am

Please complete this 9-question survey, hosted on Survey Money, by Nov. 22, 2020:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/28KPS8G

All responses are anonymous; we are not collecting IP addresses, either.

Thanks, in advance, for your participation.

UAL1277 Kevin Finch

Re: 2020 vUAL Events Survey

Post by UAL1277 Kevin Finch » November 29th, 2020, 3:57 pm

And the results are in! http://virtualunitedairlines.org/lib/do ... esults.pdf

Quick Summary:
- 34 pilots responded to the survey.
- vUAL scheduled 196 evens in 2020.
- 80% of respondents flew less than three events in 2020.
- There will be fewer events in 2021.
- Almost 70% of respondents said they use the forums.
- 74% of respondents never use TeamSpeak.

Sim Use
Prepared v4 or v5: 47.06%
X-Plane: 23.53%
FSX: 20.59%
Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020: 14.71%
FS9/FS2004: 2.94%

Good Idea!
- One respondent noted, "With regard to Question 7, “A group flight leader, like a MC who will take part in the event, set up routing and make scenery recommendations, as well as be available on TS and/or Discord during the event.”
- We’re going to try this; watch for a call for volunteers sometime in December for 2021 events.

UAL902 Dennis Lynn

Post by UAL902 Dennis Lynn » December 7th, 2020, 1:03 pm

Kevin: thanks for the work! The survey responses are pretty interesting.
It's a shame that less than 10% of pilots responded.
D

UAL277 Tim Haibach

Post by UAL277 Tim Haibach » December 9th, 2020, 9:41 pm

2020 is finally coming to a close, and among all the other news going and people staying at home more, you would think that this would equate to more VA activity. The survey results are very disheartening to be honest. I don't understand why people bother to join a VA if they aren't going to be active. Guys, you get out of it what you put into it. If you contribute nothing (screenshots, posts, Teamspeak, ect), then you can't expect to get anything out of joining. If you are going to fly once per month offline, you meet the bare minimums, but that doesn't make a vibrant VA that I want to be a part of. Its about COMMUNITY, getting to know each other, flying in events together to represent our airline. A chance to hang out and chat with fellow pilots in Teamspeak. The reason you don't see many on is because you give up too early. I challenge every one of you to log into teamspeak everytime you are connected to the internet and just have it run in the background if no one else is on. Give it a chance. I'd like to fly with pilots who actually care about being part of a team. Ask questions, talk aviation, BS in general, whatever your fancy.

It was stated 70% use the forums. You want to know what percent actually POST to the forums? My guess is less than 10%. Count how many unique pilot IDs posted in the forums in 2020. Guess who contributed the most? Not that it matters, but the point is very few CONTRIBUTE content. What happens if those few just stop posting??? Then there's absolutely NO NEW CONTENT to read, making the forums pointless. I personally like the forums because it is a more organized search with specific threads vs the more general search function of other social platforms. Let's just admit it, 2020 was a CRAP YEAR. Let's not drag it into 2021.