The Summer Games

All Events details will be posted here.
UAL1277 Kevin Finch

The Summer Games

Post by UAL1277 Kevin Finch » April 25th, 2021, 11:38 am

vUAL has a Summer Games award, with Bronze, Silver and Gold levels.

There are two flights at the Bronze level and two flights at the Silver level; if you complete all four flights, you qualify for the Gold level. Flights may be completed in United/United Express and Star Alliance liveries. If you fly Star Alliance liveries, and there are no relevant flights in our schedule, you may use the Star Alliance code + your vUAL ID number as your flight number. For example, ACA008 for an Air Canada flight for me.

Start by picking an athlete from your home nation. If you hold citizenship in more than one country, imagine they were playing against each other and you could only cheer for one, that's what we'll call your home nation.

To qualify for the Bronze level, fly one of your nation's Olympic athletes from their place of residence or where they train (your choice) to your nation's capital between July 9 and July 23, 2021. Between July 24 and August 22, 2021, fly the return flight from the capital to the airport from which you flew your first leg. (If your athlete lives or trains in your nation's capital, fly from any city in the country that is at least 100 nautical miles away.)

To qualify for the Silver level, fly your national team from your capital to RJAA Tokyo Narita between July 9 and July 23, 2021. Fly the return flight from RJAA Narita to the capital between July 24 and August 22, 2021. If your nation is Japan, fly from Sapporo. (I understand that teams will likely not leave from national capitals but this removes the need for vUAL to identify a departure city for each competing nation.)

To qualify for the Gold level, complete the two Bronze level flights and the two Silver level flights. A pilot who receives the Gold award also receives the Bronze and Silver awards.

If you don't want to do all four flights, you can fly the two Bronze flights and receive the Bronze award or fly the two Silver flights and receive the Silver award. If you complete one Bronze and one Silver flight, you get credit for your hours; no award.

For example, if I was following Halifax, Canada-based gymnast Ellie Black, I would fly her from Halifax (CYHZ) to Ottawa (CYOW) for the first leg of the Bronze level. I would then fly CYOW-RJAA-CYOW for the Silver level. Then, I would fly CYOW-CYHZ after returning from RJAA to a) complete the requirements for the Bronze award and to b) qualify for the Gold award.

You can wrap this up in as little as two consecutive days: fly into your capital and fly from your capital to RJAA on July 23, then fly from RJAA to your capital and then back to your original departure airport on July 24.

Or, you could take your time, fly into RJAA, complete a tour or three in Asia, then fly out of RJAA. I'll be adding some new tours in Asia in late June or early July.

The tracking sheet will make this all crystal clear! https://virtualual.com/index.php/downloads/dl/5373 (But I don't have Excel! See https://forums.virtualual.com/viewtopic ... 19&t=11441)

If you have questions, please reply to this original post.

UAL1277 Kevin Finch

Re: The Summer Games

Post by UAL1277 Kevin Finch » April 25th, 2021, 11:39 am

What happens if you're following a Japanese athlete from Tokyo, you ask?

Fly them to/from Tokyo from any Japanese airport at least 100nm from RJAA for the Bronze level.

UAL902 Dennis Lynn

Post by UAL902 Dennis Lynn » April 26th, 2021, 8:59 pm

It looks complicated, but actually is quite simple and an elegant answer to what we do for the Olympics! Thanks Kevin!

UAL1277 Kevin Finch

Post by UAL1277 Kevin Finch » April 30th, 2021, 12:02 pm

Thanks, Dennis; I've made it a lot less verbose since you read it...