Hello Boys!

All New/Stories related to the Land of the Rising Sun.

Moderator: UAL025 Jeffrey Bice

UAL916 Ray Browell

Hello Boys!

Post by UAL916 Ray Browell » December 8th, 2019, 6:52 am

Well after many months of kicking, screaming, using some choice words, sitting through behavioral therapy (seriously), I think I got a pile of crap that might run FS for me.

So my hard drive crashed and burned on my Laptop but in the end it had another major issue that I could not fix, the USB ports were shot as well. Not going to fix that one so it got 7 rounds of .45 ACP through it. My desktop is a all in one model from 2011 so need I say more? So that leaves me my lovely wife's laptop. However it has one MAJOR flaw, Winders 8.1 :oops: :oops: :oops:

I for the most part got it working tonight but it is rough around the edges. I was not willing to try a flight the way it is working right now. My folks are in town for the weekend but as soon as they split and I get house back in order Sunday evening, I am going to try to polish the turd the best I can for Windows 8.1 and give it a try. If it is a no go, I will officially retire from the flight sim community after 19 years of service and cheesy in flight audio and in flight announcements. :lol:

Crossing fingers it works.
If I could I would. If I don't, it's because I am lazy!

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

UAL916 Ray Browell

Re: Hello Boys!

Post by UAL916 Ray Browell » December 8th, 2019, 10:10 pm

Well boys, I got FSX SE running. FS9 is a no go. So far so good with SE. No crashes or anything. My only issue is I forgot how to use Garmin so I do not know how to navigate anymore. I got spolied with FSNavigator. So am looking into FSTramp or a crash course in navigation again real quick.

I am going to try like hell to post a flight within some hours tonight.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

UAL916 Ray Browell

Post by UAL916 Ray Browell » December 9th, 2019, 2:07 am

So, That didn't work out. I got FSX SE up and going on 8.1 as I was told it would not do and it did. however, as soon as I start SmartCars and Tramp or a Combo of either one, it crashes to desktop every time.

Not to be out done, I got pissed off and gave it some time after some brief choice words and I then went back to my old 2011 model PC. Needless to say, I am now climbing to cruise and HOPING for a safe landing. Not sure how the hell I got it working and I am not going to look a gift horse in the mouth.Just going to enjoy the flight. it might be the only one I ever get to do ever again. :lol:

*EDIT*
2 flights in the books. I can't believe the old machine held up long enough to let me get in a couple.

UAL909 Filipe Nunez

Post by UAL909 Filipe Nunez » December 9th, 2019, 9:14 am

MY pc is 10yrs old (I5 2500K) running W7 with FSX and still going rarely any issues, i dont plan to upgrade till it breaks, even though MS has sent me notices it stopping updates on W7 on Jan 2020, dont care. W8 s*&ks major bud!! hated that software, so i suggest if reviving old pc use W7 unless you planning to use the other newer flight sims that i dont care about..

UAL916 Ray Browell

Post by UAL916 Ray Browell » December 9th, 2019, 7:46 pm

This is a All In 1 PC. It has a AMD E2 Vision in it which is a GPU. I can not upgrade chip, graphics or anything. It is just a basic crappy duo core essentially. it is a HP Omni 120. It was never meant to game on. This was basically a moms or a grandmas news and recipes PC. The fact that it even runs Flight Sim old OR new is miraculous in and of itself. Oh and I would run nothing but Windows 7 ;)

I am an old computer guy from many moons ago. I have built hundreds and hundreds of units. the issue is as time wore on, the "I am entitled" age group came to be and wanted something for nothing and I gave up building and working on PC's and literally sold out all of my stuff and or threw it all in the trash just to spite people. Now all I have left is this pile of crap and my wife's laptop with Windows 8.1. Key word "Wife's". If it were mine, it would quickly get Windows 10 on it with FS9 and FSX SE. Windows 8 and 8.1 suck major balls. Windows 8 and ME were the biggest disasters in Computer history. Before my hard drive crashed and burned on my laptop I had both FS9 and FSX and FSX SE running on Windows 10 Flawless pretty much (minus FSInn servers). Wouldn't read aircraft database.