New PC Flying Again ?

All New/Stories related to the Land of the Rising Sun.

Moderator: UAL025 Jeffrey Bice

UAL916 Ray Browell

New PC Flying Again ?

Post by UAL916 Ray Browell » May 6th, 2021, 10:18 pm

Well, I finally got a new machine with a relatively decent (to me) video card. So I should be able to do some flying again. Getting geared up to be excited. However, it will be on good ol' FSX for now as I need a bigger HD for the new 2020 Flight Sim. That thing is huge from what I am seeing.

Anyhow, gotta run for now. Hope everyone is well! And, first grand baby is here too so a lot of time is taken up. Yay for me in a bunch of different ways!! Real excited about that.

Chow for now! Keep the blue side up!
If I could I would. If I don't, it's because I am lazy!

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

UAL1277 Kevin Finch

Re: New PC Flying Again ?

Post by UAL1277 Kevin Finch » May 7th, 2021, 7:36 pm

Good to have you back in the skies, Ray. I feel your pain on the GPU front; I'm still using a 3Gb Radeon card that I bought to speed up my photo software.

Good to hold off on the MSFS, in my opinion. It's a great GA platform but just starting to get some decent tubeliners. Still no ActiveSky and I've heard some of the controllers lamenting that its weather is out of sync with what VATSIM may be seeing. Lots of improvements on the default A320, which is supported by SimBrief, too, based on some freeware mods.

UAL902 Dennis Lynn

Post by UAL902 Dennis Lynn » May 9th, 2021, 3:37 pm

Ray: always good to see you back active with us again! :D
I agree with Kevin, hold off on MSFS for now while Microsoft relearns how to present a decent flight experience.

Den

UAL916 Ray Browell

Post by UAL916 Ray Browell » May 10th, 2021, 3:06 am

Hello Kevin and Dennis! Awesome to hear from you boys. It has been way the hell to long! I really hope all is well and healthy as can be.

Oddly enough, I got this new machine to run Adobe for photo software as well and by trial and error, found out it will run the hell right out of FSX SE. It has Nvidia 4GB graphics. Good enough for me. I got sliders maxed and it doesn't choke it at all.

I am currently taking my time getting things installed ( United ACARS device, fleet 1 at a time, etc ) and making sure each item works. When it does it's game on for sure. Also. I transferred out of Jax ARTCC on Vatsim and will be controlling out of ZME now.

And as far as 2020 goes, I had been told by others to hold off as well. When my wife saw it, apparently she saw the one that had game pass and all for 150 some odd $$. :lol: She made the hold off decision for me! ha ha ha!!! She said when I start getting photo jobs then I can upgrade if I want ha ha. I'm afraid my photo skills may lack still. ;) My inbox gets bombed daily with requests for work doing this or that but no one wishes to pay hardly anything. So stay home and be safe and healthy and fly it is!

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

UAL916 Ray Browell

Post by UAL916 Ray Browell » May 13th, 2021, 1:26 pm

First 2 flights in the books on the new machine. I opted to bust out the old FS9 and run it. I do have FSX SE installed with FS Tramp (No FLight Planner) installed but ..... Nostalgia I suppose. Everything ran smooth minus the FS9 install initially. I had to create a .bat file to over ride Windows 10 permissions to get it to install.
Attachments
Screenshot_5.jpg
Screenshot_5.jpg (139.97 KiB) Viewed 9167 times
Screenshot_4.jpg
Screenshot_4.jpg (458.04 KiB) Viewed 9167 times
Screenshot_3.jpg
Screenshot_3.jpg (327.05 KiB) Viewed 9167 times

UAL902 Dennis Lynn

Post by UAL902 Dennis Lynn » May 15th, 2021, 10:57 am

Great shots Ray! :D

UAL124 Joel Wolk

Post by UAL124 Joel Wolk » May 16th, 2021, 7:28 pm

UAL916 Ray Browell wrote:
May 13th, 2021, 1:26 pm
First 2 flights in the books on the new machine. I opted to bust out the old FS9 and run it. I do have FSX SE installed with FS Tramp (No FLight Planner) installed but ..... Nostalgia I suppose. Everything ran smooth minus the FS9 install initially. I had to create a .bat file to over ride Windows 10 permissions to get it to install.
Nice shots there Ray and great to see you're back in the virtual skies! I feel a little less alone as an FS9 simmer although I know there's still a pretty good abundance of those folks out there in the general world of flight simulation.

Keep it up and definitely keep those screen shots coming!

UAL916 Ray Browell

Post by UAL916 Ray Browell » May 19th, 2021, 8:51 am

It's great to be back! :D I sure did miss it and everyone.

And yeah, there is a a LOT of FS9 holdouts out there. I joined a community of LifeInvader ..... Err uhhh Facebook ( GTA V Punn there ;-) ) and all they talk is FS9 and man alive do some folks have some amazing looking FS9 scenery and etc going on.

I am slowly but surely using FSX - SE on Vatsim and having one hell of a go at it. I am so used to FS9 and all it's bells and lack of whistles that FSX is just a mess to me. Fun, but a major mess. I'm trying as I might right now to get the dreaded Swift installed so I can use FS9 again since FSInn is no longer an option on the network.

**EDIT**

I was able to get Swift installed and working properly with FS9 and FSX - SE. It is WAY over complicated. Nice software but way to much. They really need to streamline the process and make the GUI much easier to use. It makes FSInn look like the best dream ever come true!