Memorial Day Weekend

All New/Stories related to the Land of the Rising Sun.

Moderator: UAL025 Jeffrey Bice

UAL902 Dennis Lynn

Memorial Day Weekend

Post by UAL902 Dennis Lynn » May 30th, 2021, 8:02 pm

It's been quite a while since I reached out to you folks. Used to reach out on a monthly basis and real world stuff took up more and more of my time. I am still around though, and I thought it might be a good time to reach out to you and bring some stuff to your attention. :shock:
For those of you who fly only once per month:Our website is going OFF LINE tonight at 10:00 pm central time (5/31 @0300Z) Justin, our IT guru has $100. worth of quarters so it's a pretty fair bet that he will get 3 of something when he pulls the handle! (Hope it's not lemons!) At any rate the site will be back up after a couple of hours and you will see a difference! So login on Monday and enjoy! I will even be wearing a pressed uniform!
Some Housekeeping Stuff Just a cautionary word about liveries. From time to time I review the pireps, basically to get a feel of who's flying to what destinations. I have noticed lately that pilots are getting sloppy about liveries. You know, we don't have many rules here at all. Our primary purpose is for pilots, regardless of skill level, to have fun and enjoy this hobby. We do ask that when you fly it's in a United or American Livery, or one of our Star Alliance partners. You can find a listing of them here: https://www.staralliance.com/en/home#member-airlines
Please bear in mind that use of a non-approved livery may cause your pirep to be rejected. So.. no more Avocado airlines please.
Upcoming Events Narita is sponsoring a "South Pacific Weekend" on June 19 & 20. You can read all about it here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11473
I would love to see a big turn out from our pilot base. I will be in the hub office in teamspeak about 30 mins before the scheduled start of the event for any last minute questions you may have. It should be a fun flight down and back, and Gary has signed up for karaoke!! :( :o ;) Once again about liveries: ONLY UAL and ANA liveries for this event please. ALL pilots are welcome no matter what your current rank is. Kevin has designed a really cool looking award for this event. ;) 8-)

2021 Olympics In the real world the Olympic committee decided that NO foreigners would be permitted as spectator/guests this year. :( But never fear, Kevin - our Events Guru - figured out a pretty cool scheme for us to fly this summer. You can check it all out here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11468
So, pick your favorite Olympic athlete and have at it! 8-)

Notable Awards We have an award called "Consecutive Flights". Basically it's a mad amount of flying in ONE particular airframe. (ie: 737-800)
UAL-921 Marc Nehrbass is the FIRST RJAA PILOT to achieve the Bronze, Silver and Platinum Consecutive Flights Award! Congrats to Marc on a wicked amount of flying! 8-) A great number of you participated in the various Covid relief flights. Well done Narita! ;)

One award I would like to get back to is Pilot of the Month Although there is no set standard for this award, it is available to all pilots once during your career at Virtual United. Jeff and I are on the hunt to give this award out to deserving pilots so take a look at routes and awards and see if you can stand out - just a little-!
Speaking of Awards, I have tried on a couple of the "Fly the Line" tours, and I have to tell you that it is a different way of looking at flights and a lot of fun. Consider giving it a try. :roll:

Okay, I think this is long enough to make up for those months that my fingers didn't work! Enjoy your weekend and I hope to see you in the blue!

Regards,
Dennis

UAL907 Matthew Dirck

Re: Memorial Day Weekend

Post by UAL907 Matthew Dirck » May 31st, 2021, 9:50 am

You can count me in for the RJAA Flight. Quick question though Dennis. Is vUAL going to keep the TS active or migrate all "voice" communications over to Discord?
They Call Me The Fireman

UAL1277 Kevin Finch

Post by UAL1277 Kevin Finch » May 31st, 2021, 1:30 pm

I think our TS licence is good until the fall so it should be around until then.

At that point, I'm guessing, is that we'll look at how much traffic it's getting, how much use Discord gets as compared to the "tomb-like" forums, etc.

At the very least, I hope the forums stay as at least an archive, since there is so much events content in there, and corporate memory.

UAL902 Dennis Lynn

Post by UAL902 Dennis Lynn » June 2nd, 2021, 9:10 pm

Matt: I haven't made up my mind yet on T/S or Discord. Pro and Cons to both, biggest of which is that a lot of Narita pilots are not familiar with or use Discord. Have to see. I am speaking only for RJAA on the upcoming event.

Den

UAL916 Ray Browell

Post by UAL916 Ray Browell » June 7th, 2021, 6:13 am

I'm looking forward to the event!

And losing the forums would be TRAGIC! TS I could care less.I couldn't handle all the signing and all. It was way to much for me. I know people are people and we all have personalities :D That's cool but some days TS was just WAY over the top to much for me. I'm old and set in my ways though and I shake my fist at the kids walking on my lawn! :D :D
If I could I would. If I don't, it's because I am lazy!

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the Ark. Professionals built the Titanic.